Wednesday, February 13, 2008

We're SOOOOO Doing That AGAIN!!!!


Sunday was a dedicated "we're spending on-purpose time together as a family" day. J.M.'s been very busy with work, leaving before the kids get up and getting home long after they've gone to bed (me too, for that matter!) We decided to take the kids hiking on some trails up at Camp Merrill (parts of the Appalachian Trail are J.M.'s office - he loves telling people that!) I really didn't know what to expect from the kids or the trails. I figured maybe they could handle some mild inclines for about an hour. IT WAS AMAZING!!!!! I would put the experience in the top three times we've had together as a family. Everything we saw was gorgeous, and the kids were so good - they loved it. As we were starting out, SJ and F asked "so this is where Daddy works - what are we going to see?" to which I replied, "just wait, you won't believe it - Daddy is magic!" We spent an hour getting to the magic spot - which was this beautiful waterfall in the middle of nowhere (down a very steep dropoff from our trail, I might add!) When we got to the creek and waterfall, SJ was so overcome with it, she said "this is the most awesome thing I have ever seen, EVEN in my whole LIFE!!! Daddy IS magic!" I love these years. Then we passed the waterfall and came to a place where a huge tree had fallen across the creek (about 10-15 feet over the water). SJ and J.M. had some major bonding time as she crossed it with him. She really is such a little adventurer. Of course, upon seeing this, and doing the math, F immediately was ready to head back and go home, fearing that we may ask her to try to cross the river. Maybe one day...

All in all, we hiked about 2 hours. I think there may have been some magic on that mountain - watching the kids full of wonder at every stick, leaf, sound, and smell, and hearing them enjoying the freedom of running wild with the confidence that Daddy knew this place like the back of his hand was MY magic! I can't wait to go back and explore some more.

3 comments:

ShellyH said...

My husband and I love being outdoors, camping, hiking, rock climbing, etc. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring and summer again so we can get back outside again. Your pictures are fantastic!

suckitup-buttercup said...

Thanks so much - I appreciate your commenting - like any blogger I love to get comments! Our youngest is 2 1/2, so we are just getting to the point we can do this kind of stuff with all of them - it is so much fun.
Visit again!
t

Killjoy said...

Aww Aww Awwww! So beautiful. I so want to be there! Wah!